Thursday, January 29, 2009

Hutch

This is one of those times I will say I am thankful for being pregnant since I really didn't have to do much to get the cabinet completed. The hutch originated from my aunt and uncle's house where it lived the first half of its life as a built-in. Since John and Kara where moving into a new house on the same lot the original house was set to be demolished. My dad, always looking for the diamond in the rough, got a chance to scavage before the big demo and decided that this piece was worth saving. Thank goodness he did.

Once the cabinet was removed from the old house it was relocated to Victoria for the first round of restoration. My dad added some bead board to the back of the cabinet and did some repairs to the sliding doors. Following that it made the trip to Pearland where it sat in our garage for a good 2 months before we (Justin) got the energy to start our (Justin's) part of the project. First he had to sand off all the old layers of paint as best he could and repair the areas of damaged wood. Finally we (I actually helped a little) had to prime, paint, and finish it off with two coats of wax. In the end I think all the hard work that the guys put in made this a piece Justin and I will cherish forever. Thanks again to my wonderful husband and my always helpful father. You guys are great!!


No comments: