Thursday, July 8, 2010

BBQ Season 2010

BBQ season has begun. This past weekend Justin fired up the pit after 6 months of hibernation for a little 4th of July celebration. I will never understand the appeal of BBQing but Justin and my brother sure do love it. When the two of them get together it automatically becomes a competition to see who can be the best. This weekend Justin made a brisket (my favorite) that turned out delicious and Kurt made ribs that were super yummy too. The meat is obviously the real star of the show but we also had potato salad and beans. To top the meal off our wonderful friends brought a super yummy banana pudding and a tasty "Happy Birthday America" cake. It was the perfect BBQ meal to start the season. 
{It might be hard to see but the words "Happy Birthday America" were literally piped onto the cake. So cute and funny.}

I feel I should note that this weekend was my first attempt at making potato salad and I think it turned out pretty good. The recipe is my mom's and was really easy to whip up. Here are the details:

Potato Salad
4 baking potatoes
1/2 cup miracle whip
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 -3/4 cup onion, grated
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
2-3 tbsp pickle relish
1 tbsp pimento

Peel and cube the potatoes to edible pieces. Boil until just tender enough to eat. I cut my cubes to about 3/4" to 1" in size and boiled for just about 8 minutes. Let potatoes cool.
Add all remaining ingredients to potatoes and stir until completely combined. Store overnight in fridge before serving.
Yummy.
Thought I would add a pic of my family just to show you how relaxed these parties are; Notice my lack of makeup and Haley's lack of clothing. It was long, wonderful day. I will try to be more presentable as the summer goes on. Ha.

No comments: