Thursday, July 15, 2010

Harvest

After a long wait the Buskirk peach tree was finally ready to harvest. I think we must have picked peaches for 2-3 hours and in the end we had about 35 lbs of peaches. The first couple that we picked off the tree we decided to try as samples and they were delicious. We were so excited about all the peach things we could make: jam, cobbler, ice cream, etc.
Unfortunately once I got the peaches inside and started trying to clean and slice them I realized that there was no way I was going to make it through the entire tub. Almost 50% of them I had to throw out immediately because of bugs. The other 50% I had to mutilate in order to get the bug holes out. We only ended up getting two small bags worth of peaches to put in the freezer. It was a little sad but still a good experience and made for some really good photo ops. Anyone have advice on how to keep bugs away from peaches for next year? I am sure by the time we decide to leave this house we will have finally learned how to grow peaches. Ha.

No comments: